Wednesday, April 19, 2006


My family was wonderfully differnt. My grandfather ,Sam(his wife Anne and he did not like the term grandparents) once was pressured into saying grace at a family Thanksgiving dinner and uttrerd "may everyone here die of diptherea"
Anyway, his daughter My aunt, Ann had his clever wit and wrote a column for a local paper in Long Beach Indiana . This has been a few yeas ago but I still have several of them . Here is a favorite.



The other night a T.V. newscaster had one heckofa time trying to unscramble a name he had flubbed up. It reminded me of an intellegent conversation that took place not too long ago.My sister and her family had just moved to Micchiana Shores. Ev picked up our mother and me to spend the day at her new abode. They were in the front seat, I was sitting in the back. We were leisurely driving into Michiana when mom asked the name of the street where Ev lived. Ev told her "Groveland". We drove along a few more minutes when Ev added that it was knid of a strange name. In the back seat my mind was on something else but in all seriousness I said "maybe it was after Groveland Cleever." We drove along in silence broken only by Ev muttering that she hoped she was going the right direction and Mom muttering about how many pretty homes there were out here.
After a bit Ev asked , "who's Groveland Cleever?" I absently added that he was the President . More silence, more muttering about direction and pretty homes and again silence. Suddenly Mom turned around and asked "What's he president of?" By this time I had forgotten what we were talking about and came back with "Who?"We all have rather short fuses so she snipped , Groveland Cleever!" Just as snippily I replied"For crying out loud! President of the United States!"
I heard her softly start to recite a poem she had taught us as kids.. " First there was George Washington, the noble,truthful one. the second was John Adams then Thomas Jefferson...I tuned myself out. All of the sudden she wheeled around and yelled ,"You dumb jerk it was Clover Greeveland!!!!! We were so loused up by then that it sounded pretty good to us so we forgot the whole thing.



Gotta love it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the blogosphere!