Friday, December 08, 2006




A Ton of Bricks


Almost every afternoon you will find me on our lanai with reading material in my hands. Although I sometimes struggle to stay awake I do get some reading done too.
I recently read James Cook The Journals. It is a narrative of his three ocean voyages during the late 18th century. The third voyage occurred in 1776-1780 and of course ends with Cook’s death here on the Big Island of Hawaii. Returning to our Lanai ; it faces the south east and a wonderful view of the ocean 6 miles away. This is a key point of my story which I will now continue. One day as I was reading , I reached a point where he was approaching his “final” landing . This was Kealakekua Bay which is to the south and west of our house. While reading about their course just off the coast it suddenly hit me. I set the book down and stared out at the ocean thinking. Man! 228 years ago his ship sailed right across “ MY OCEAN VIEW” Every now and then something hits you like a ton of bricks!

1 comment:

Hugh Jass said...

Not unlike when you lived within view of the Golden Gate...think of the history that sailed through there too. You could have watched the first ships come through the gate, watched the 49ers streaming through.....but it's true, thinking about watching Captain Cook cruise by full sail, that's pretty darn cool.