Saturday, June 03, 2006


Ah Beer ! What would we do without it? For years I have been exploring and sampling various breweries products. Not downing six packs but searching for quality real beer. This trend started during my first trip to Britain in 1983.It was then I discovered real Ale . This term describes ale that is made from only basic ingredients. Real ale is bottled in such a way that it continues to mature in the bottle. It is also sold in casks that are distributed to Pubs . Over the years I have gravitated to dark beers (or Stout )becauseThey have more character. This brings me to my current favorite . I feel Deschutes Obsidian Stout is the closest thing to Guinness that you can find. Not the Guinness you can buy locally but the real stuff in Ireland. Deschutes is brewed in Bend Oregon .Obsidian Stout is one of eight or so they sell. They also produce a tasty Holiday Ale . Here is another excellent source ( under the real beer link to the right) of information on Ale and Pubs in The U.K.
Cheers!

No comments: